Last August, we set out to answer a question: does cannabis make you more creative? We looked at the question objectively and came to this conclusion: there are so many creative people who say it does that there has to be something there. Creativity is not really a measurable thing, but are you going to argue with Carl Sagan? Or the best artists in rock and roll history? Or the guy who helped create the thing you are reading this article on right now? I didn’t think so. Anyhow, let’s get on with it.
Start with a sativa
Creativity and productivity are two sides of the same coin. As we recommend in our productivity blog, sticking with sativas or sativia-dominant hybrids will give you an energy boost and help you focus on your desired task – whether it be writing, painting, creating, or whatever it is that you are doing. For an added boost, a cup of coffee, tea, or a natural energy supplement will keep you focused and alert while you work.
Marijuana that is rich in limonene is a safe bet for creativity. Limonene is known for being uplifting, relieving stress, and boosting your mood. These are ideal effects for creative tasks. In addition, the citrusy scent is great for awakening the senses. Limonene is present in many popular daytime strains like Sour Diesel, Super Lemon Haze, and Bubba Kush.
In a 2014 Dutch study, cannabis users who ingested a higher dose of vaporized cannabis (22 mg) did worse on creative tasks than users who took a smaller dose (5.5 mg). However, those who took a small dose of cannabis scored higher than those who ingested a placebo. This may suggest that microdosing may be an effective strategy when it comes to doing creative tasks!
Our recommended strains for creativity
- Super Lemon Haze: this sativa-dominant hybrid is a limonene powerhouse that is both energizing and uplifting.
- Jack Herer: a favorite among artists, this sativa-dominant strain will have you clearheaded yet give you a burst of creative energy.
- Jillybean: another favorite among creatives, this hybrid melts stress and will put a smile on your face. Careful not to overindulge or the indica effects may take over.
- Jet Fuel: this sativa-dominant strain is known for its high energy jolt but also relaxation. Perfect for creating!
- Tangie: an awesome limonene-laden sativa (limonene provides that great tangerine smell). This strain will melt your stress and lift your mood.